Edmonton man saves couple, pets from burning home

Written by admin on 26/07/2019 Categories: 广州桑拿网

EDMONTON – A young Edmonton man is being hailed a hero for alerting a couple that their house was on fire early Saturday morning.

Issiah Read was heading to work around 5:50 a.m. when he drove past a home in the Knottwood neighbourhood in south Edmonton and saw smoke coming from it.

“I pull into this cul-de-sac and I see lights on the houses,” Read recalled. “I pulled up closer and the whole front of the house is on fire.”

广州桑拿

A woman in the area was already on the phone to 911 so Read jumped into action to make sure there were no people inside the house.

“The door was on fire and everything so I just hopped the fence right to the back, went to the back and just started slapping on the window as hard as I could until I could hear someone answer me.”

Read said a man opened the window and asked what was going on.

“I was like, ‘Dude, your house is on fire you have to get out right now… You gotta go,’” he said.

The man and his wife safely made it out of the house but there were two dogs upstairs, so Read said he and the man went back inside to get the animals.

“I can’t even see my hand in front of my face the smoke is so thick,” said Read.

The men rescued the dogs; there were also cats in the basement, which fire crews were able to save.

While it was a frightening ordeal, Read said the couple was extremely grateful he came to their rescue.

“They’re in shock and they’re just really thankful that I showed up when I did and helped them out,” he said. “They said if I didn’t show up they would have slept right through it.”

“You always dream about being the saviour of the day, but when it actually comes down to it you don’t think, you just go. You just do your best, do what you can and hopefully you can save lives.”

Three units were called in to battle the blaze, which was declared under control at around 7:15 a.m.

Edmonton Fire Rescue said one person was taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

A spokesperson with Edmonton Fire Rescue said the cause of the fire was an improperly disposed of cigarette in a plastic planter on the front deck.

Damages are pegged at $375,000.

Comments Off on Edmonton man saves couple, pets from burning home